Abuja building incident, a controlled demolition – FCT agency

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department has clarified that the incident initially reported as a building collapse on an Abuja estate was actually a controlled demolition due to structural defects, and no lives were lost.

It was earlier reported that an unconfirmed number of workers were feared dead after a building at Nicholas Ukachukwu’s Praco Limited Estate in Guzape, Abuja, collapsed on Friday.

It was also reported that a rescue operation was going on but had been hindered by heavy rainfall.

Debunking the incident during a phone call interview, the Acting Director of General FEMD, Florence Wenegieme, told our correspondent that the incident was not a case of collapse but a structural defect.

“it was a structural defect but the owner decided to demolish it completely. No loss of lives, and no one was trapped. FEMD rescue team was there with Asokoro divisional police, NEMA, and FCT Red Cross”, she said.

She emphasized that the press should always contact her to confirm any future developments.

[The PUNCH]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top